Inspiring Instructional Technology and STEM Leader
Experienced educator with a background in STEM, instructional design, leadership, research, assessment and online program design. Committed to adding value through collaborative problem solving, outcomes-based decision-making, and the use of web 3.0 tools in an academic setting to support all learners. Formal background includes multiple degree programs in Biological Sciences (Bachelor and Master’s degree) as well as Professional experience in the Research Field of Molecular Genetics. A mid-career move to education led to an earned MS-Ed in Secondary Education with multiple endorsements and long tenure teaching in the Sciences. Through multiple professional growth opportunities, and STEM leadership, the path of innovation led to the Ph.D. in Educational Technology, Research and Assessment.
- Ph.D., Educational Technology Instruction, Research and Assessment Candidate, Northern Illinois University
- National Board Certified Educator (NBPTS)-Science 2009
- M.S. Ed Secondary Education, magna cum laude, DePaul University 2002
- M.S., Biology, magna cum laude, Northern Arizona University, 1997.
- B.S., Zoology Northern Arizona University, 1995.
- Innovation Department Instructor, Golf School District 67, August 2018- Present
- Science Department Head and Instructor, Golf School District 67, August 2003-2018,
- Senior Research Scientist, Department of Pathology-University of Chicago, August 1997-2002.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Cell Biology, Northern Arizona University, 1995-1997.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Cell Biology, Northern Arizona University, 1995-1997.
Research and academic contributions
Publications (Peer Reviewed)
Schneider, D., Xie, Y. (2019) The Impact of Immersive Virtual Reality on Learning, Post-Hoc
Ladendorf, K., Schneider, D., Xie, Y.(2019) Mobile-Based Virtual Reality: Why and How does it Support Learning?
Fagan A.M., Holtzman D.M., Munson G., Mathur T., Schneider D.E., Chang L.K., Getz G.S., Reardon C.A., Lukens J., Shah J.A., and
MJ LaDu. (1999). Unique lipoproteins secreted by primary astrocytes from wild type, apoE (-/-), and human apoE transgenic mice. J Biol Chem.274(42):30001-7.
LaDu, M.J., Gilligan, S.M., Lukens, J.R., Cabana, V.G., Reardon, C.A., Schneider, D.E., and D.M. Holtzman. CSF lipoproteins differ from nascent astrocyte particles (1998) J Neurochem. 70(5):2070-2081.
Schneider, D (1997) The Cytoskeletal Changes in Dinoflagellates during cell division. NAU Press.
Presentations at Professional Conferences:
- NSTA: How to begin implementing NGSS on a Shoe-String Budget.
- NCTM: You’re State has adopted the NGSS: Now What?
- ICE: Ditch that Scratch for Real Coding in Late Elementary School!
Memberships of Professional Organizations
- International Society for Technology Education (ISTE)
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Illinois Computing Educators (ICE)
- American Society of Microbiologists (ASM)
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- GoogleCS Certified Educator
- Microsoft Certified Educator
- Automation and Robotic- PLTW
- Design and Modeling- PLTW
- Continually working for 17+ years creating unique opportunities and solutions integrating Web 3.0 into core curricula, through a standards-based lens, to meet the growing and changing needs for the Net generation, its’ teachers and its’ administrators.
- Forged relationships through networking opportunities, grants, and collaborative projects within the community, as well as local and global corporations, to reach mutually beneficial goals.
Growth Mindset. Program-wide implementation for success in STEM and Innovation Curriculum
Professional Foundation. Built upon cooperation based on team communication and vision-based project management.
Educational Foundation. Applying multiple learning techniques, designing instruction, implementing foundational principles of educational theory
Instructional technology and instructional design. Identifying needs, skills, and instructional systems to manage, develop and inspire teachers and students. instructional development principles and experience in course management systems (Moodle, Blackboard), the use of software (Microsoft Suite and GAFE), multimedia production tools and an expansive knowledge about web programming.
Web 3.0 Integrated Content Applications (student based)
Apple Swift Playground
Trinket (Python and HTML)
Minecraft for Education
Robot C (for Vex Robotics)
Autocad (3-D Printing/Design and Modeling)
Blender (3-D Modeling)
Unity (Virtual Reality Coding)
Co-Spaces (Virtual Reality Coding)
Google Expedition (VR and AR) Non-Coding
Additional Application Proficiencies
- All above applications
- LMS Systems
- Social Media Platforms: Twitter, G+, Instagram, FB
Basic Job Responsibilities (more detail upon request)
- Instruction of Core Content
- Design, coordinate and implement the Next Generation Science Standards Alignment K-8, district-wide
- Development of Instructional Material for 6-8 Science as STEM Leader for District
- Design and development of traditional, online/blended lessons and innovation projects.
- Provide instruction to staff for created materials.
- Assists faculty instructional strategies, design and development of course materials as well as the integration of instructional technologies for the best practices within lesson design.
- Worked with Township partners to create:
- Standards-based outcomes
- Multi-level learning activities
- Multi-level assessments
- Identify Web 3.0 tools to enrich content/lessons
- Keep open levels of communication with students and parents through schoolwide LMS, and other channels of social media and email.
- Constant reflection and adjusting lesson materials to meet standards with rigor.
- Supporting staff with the use of learning technologies such as online learning tools and programs
- Facilitate Web 3.0 professional development opportunities and courses for teachers
- Creation of Instructional Videos to facilitate learning for both teachers and staff
- Continual engagement in professional growth opportunities to ensure the understanding of new and emerging technologies, methodologies and curricular programs to benefit all programs and content areas.
- Presenting at statewide and national conferences.
- Publishing peer-reviewed resources.
- Provide Professional development opportunities in NGSS-based learning for teachers
- Participation in Strategic Planning committee multiple years: presented to the community and implemented strategies with staff
- Participation in Technology Committee: developed plans, worked with community partners, worked to develop 1:1 initiative, rollout, technology initiatives, and implementation.